How a Self-Care Getaway Will Benefit You Mentally and Emotionally
Even if you’re meditating and practicing yoga on a regular basis, rejuvenating your body with plenty of quality sleep, and giving yourself the leisure time to enjoy your favorite hobbies and activities, treating yourself to an occasional getaway is imperative to any good self-care routine. According to Allina Health, vacations are especially important when you’re feeling overworked and overwhelmed with life, as they help to boost mental power, enhance relationships with loved ones, prevent burnout, and improve health and well-being overall. Plus, the sheer act of planning a trip can make you happier in life and more productive at work.
Regardless of whether you’re already experiencing signs of emotional burnout or you simply need some time away to unwind and destress, the benefits of taking a self-care getaway are vast. For some tips on planning your trip and selecting the right destination, read on!
Tips for Planning the Ultimate Self-Care Getaway
There are many physical and mental advantages of taking a self-care getaway—including benefits like improved mood, greater life satisfaction, and relief from stress, anxiety, and depression. However, the theme you set for your trip will be just as important as the getaway itself. Do you want to spend a weekend at the beach, or does a hike in the mountains sound more restorative to you? Will yoga and meditation be the focus of your trip, or are you looking for more variety and adventure?
Once you've set the right theme for your self-care needs, you can begin to explore possible destinations. Some of the best self-care getaways in America include the following:
- Historic Kent Manor Inn (Stevensville, MD)
- Ojai Valley Inn (Ojai, CA)
- Stanford Inn by the Sea (Mendocino, CA)
- New Life Hiking Spa (Killington, VT)
- Springwater Center (Springwater, NY)
- Red Mountain Resort (Ivins, UT)
After choosing a destination, decide whether you’re going to travel by air, car, train, or another mode of transportation. If you’ll be flying, take the time to compare flights before booking your airline reservation. When it’s finally time to set off on your getaway, turn off your phone and laptop, eliminate other distractions, and make the most out of your time away.
Look and Feel Great for Your Getaway
According to experts at Project Helping, self-esteem, body image, and mental health go hand-in-hand—as self-esteem issues can lead to depression, anxiety, body dysmorphia, and poor mental health overall. However, moving your body on a regular basis, consuming nutritious foods, and wearing the clothing, shoes, jewelry, and accessories you’re most comfortable with can all lead to a healthier body image.
If you’re looking for ways to boost your self-esteem for better mental health, your self-care getaway could be the perfect time to experiment with a bold new look. Here’s how:
- Temporarily change your hair color. By using a semi-permanent dye to color your hair before leaving on your trip, you’ll give yourself several days (or weeks) to experiment with an exciting new look without the long-term commitment of using a permanent dye. However, not all semi-permanent dyes are created equal, as some come in bold colors like blue or pink and others contain harsh chemicals that can dry out your hair. Before committing to a semi-permanent dye, it’s important to do plenty of research to find the right product for you.
- Treat yourself to a new wardrobe. While the types of clothing you’ll need for your getaway will depend on the destination and what you’ll be doing once you arrive, treating yourself to a few new pieces of clothing can help you to feel more confident in your skin. However, take the time to consider each clothing piece before deciding whether to purchase it—and pay attention to how each piece makes you feel.
By treating yourself to a well-deserved getaway that includes plenty of time for self-care, you’ll boost your mental and emotional health—and you’ll be better able to handle life’s many obstacles upon your return. However, a self-care getaway doesn’t mean the same thing for everyone—and it’s important to select a destination and theme that best fits your interests, personality, and physical, mental, and emotional needs.